Interested in Submitting to The Fiddlehead?
The Fiddlehead is open to good writing in English from all over the world, looking always for freshness and surprise. Our editors are always happy to see new unsolicited works in fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry.
Work is read on an ongoing basis; the acceptance rate is around 1-2%. Response time is typically from three to nine months. Apart from our annual contest we have no deadlines for submissions.
If you are serious about submitting to The Fiddlehead, you should subscribe or read an issue or two to get a sense of the journal. Contact us if you would like to order sample back issues ($10-$15 plus postage).
Requirements for submissions are similar to those for other literary journals:
- All unsolicited submissions should be unpublished, original works.
- No faxed, emailed submissions accepted. Please do not send CDs, DVDs, etc.
- Please include a cover letter with contact information (including your email address, if you have one), the title(s) and genre of the work(s) you are submitting and one to three lines of biographical information about your writing career.
- All submissions should be typed/word-processed, spell-checked, and paginated. Please put your name on every page of your submission.
- Please only submit in one genre at a time.
- A short fiction or creative nonfiction submission should be double-spaced and not over 6,000 words. Please send only one short fiction or creative nonfiction submission at a time.
- A poetry submission may be single-spaced. Please submit no more than 10 poems per submission (3 to 5 is best). No more than one poem on a page.
- Pay is approximately $60 CAD per published page, plus two complimentary copies of the issue with your work.
- The Fiddlehead buys first serials rights; copyright remains with the author.
- In order to receive a response, you must include a SASE, that is, a self-addressed envelope, with the correct amount of postage on it. If you wish to receive your whole manuscript back, please say so in cover letter and include a large enough self-addressed envelope with the correct amount of postage. Please affix the appropriate postage; submissions without sufficient postage on the SASE will not be returned.
- To international submitters: We cannot send back a response using stamps from the U.S.A. or elsewhere; so your SASE should have either Canadian postage on it or you should enclose cash or cheque or money order (Canadian or US dollars only please).
- Don't want your manuscript returned? Not interested in a hand-written response? Then state in your cover letter that you would like an email response (and don’t forget to include your email address in your letter).
Campus House | 11 Garland Court
University of New Brunswick
PO Box 4400